Friday, January 14, 2011

Cashew Chicken


A few months ago my sister, Ashley, gave me a wok. It was bright yellow and she named it Sunshine. We name everything. It's a quirky way of making something our own. It took me a few months to try it out, due to the fact that I only have a partial kitchen right now. We're in the middle of remodeling it, and have been for the last half year, so it takes twice as long to make anything. But when I used my wok for the first time I was ecstatic! It was so fast, easy, and efficient, not to mention, healthy. Chop up some meat and veggies, add a kick-butt sauce, and serve over rice. Did I mention it was fast? Those Chinese and they're ancient culture, they're smart little cookies.

Anyway, I was telling Ashley all of this on the phone when she requested the recipe. So, without further ado, I give you...


Cashew Chicken

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 4 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 3 cups cubed uncooked chicken
  • 1 1/2 c. carrots
  • 1 1/2 c. zucchini
  • 1 1/3 c. cashews
Blend together water, soy sauce, cornstarch, garlic and pepper and set aside. Heat oil in wok or skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, stir fry until cooked. Add veggies (feel free to use whatever floats your boat), and cook until tender. Add cashews and cook for one minute. Mix in soy sauce mixture until thickened. Serve over rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment